Pages

January 5, 2013

Butter: Working my way into the new year with a Chicken Tortellini Soup

One of my resolutions this year was to blog on here, Butter Bokeh Baby, once a week instead of sporadically like I have been. Well this resolution was made more achievable when I decided it was time to start writing a cookbook. I have been wanting to write one for a few years now & last year I started writing books but never got very far because my passion for them wained shortly into the endeavor, but I am always passionate about food. I love talking about it, watching it be made, making it. So I decided it was time to start putting my multitude of recipes into one book rather than on random pieces of paper & notebooks through out my house.

With my son having been diagnosed with quite a few food allergies (diary, all nuts, wheat, & eggs) I have been left swirling in what to feed him & how to make sure he is getting lots of options & maintains his healthy appetite. So I did what lots of people do, I started researching. My research has lead me into the dark underbelly of the food world. The part that grocery stores, government, & politicians don't want the consumer to see.

Upon the prompting of a friend, I watched Food, Inc. I was floored, disgusted, & amazed by the things I saw & heard. I then followed up with Forks Over Knives, Ingredients,  Frankensteer, & Food Matters. I loved what I was seeing about organic & whole foods & all the options that are actually out there & readily available in mainstream grocery stores. I've also been reading Living Without (a fantastic magazine about living with food allergies) & Natural Health.

I encourage everyone to do your own research into food & develop your own opinions. My opinions are my own & I will share them with you & please questions me, challenge me, agree or disagree (respectfully please) with me. I'm just beginning our [my family] journey of whole food, organic, healthful, & allergy free eating & am all about more knowledge & understanding.

Today I have a wonderful winter recipe for you to warm you up on those super cold, windy days. Its very simple & can easily be allergen free which I will explain after the recipe.


Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 2 tble of olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled & diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
- 2- 14oz cans of organic diced tomatoes
- 1- 14oz can of organic green beans, drained
- 1- 14oz can of organic cannellini (sometimes called northern) beans, drained & rinsed
- 32oz of organic chicken broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tble of dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp dried red pepper flakes
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 tble dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups diced chicken [I used 2 breasts of an antibiotic & hormone free, free-range rotisserie chicken]
- 1 cup of frozen organic peas
- 1 package of frozen or fresh cheese tortellini (organic if you can find it)

~in a large pot [I used a dutch oven which is a heavy, coated cast-iron pot. The best Christmas present ever...thanks Mom & Dad!] add olive oil to the pot & heat over medium high for 2-3 minutes. Add the diced onion, minced garlic, & half of the salt (1/2 tsp) [this helps to bring out the moisture in the onion & layer in the flavors].
~once the onion turns translucent add the tomatoes & beans and cook for about 5 minutes.
~next add the broth, water, parsley, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, oregano, remaining salt, & chicken. stir, reduce heat to medium low, & cover for 20 minutes.
~cook your tortellini according to the package directions in a separate pot & set aside once finished
~turn off the heat under the soup & stir in the peas [the soup will easily warm up the peas]
~add the tortellini to the soup & serve

*to make this recipe allergen free omit the tortellini [I removed a few cups of the soup before adding in the tortellini for Brooks. The tortellini has everything he can't have except for nuts]
*to make this vegetarian omit the chicken & use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth
* to make this vegan omit the chicken, substitute vegetable for chicken broth, & use a vegan tortellini.


Thanks for ready & happy eating,
Marissa





No comments:

Post a Comment