Pages

January 16, 2013

Butter: Simple Lunches that are more filling || Augusta, GA Food Blogger

One of the dilemmas I am most often left with for lunch is a lunch that isn't quite filling enough. Yesterday I had a great lunch of ravioli with marinara & a side salad (here's my instagram pic of it). It was yummy, but I was still left feeling a little empty. So today I took a look at yesterday's lunch & wondered what went wrong. How could a plate full of stuffed pasta & sauce not fill me up. Then it hit me.

One of the things that is most important when it comes to eating light without gorging yourself is to hit all the different flavor profiles & create depth. Yesterday I just added the frozen ravioli to the pot of water & then topped it with marinara when it was done. Today I took it a step further, by using a few tips I've garnered from the Queen of Pasta, Giada De Laurentiis.

I brought the water to a low boil, added salt & then my pasta (yesterday, my pasta was a little underdone for my taste, so I added a few minutes to the cooking process). Once they were pillowy, I removed them from the pot & dumped the water. Next I returned the pot to the hot burner, added a small drizzle of organic olive oil, a handful of organic baby spinach, a pinch of salt & pepper & allowed the spinach to wilt slightly. Then I added a few spoon fulls of homemade marinara, 2 pinches of dried red pepper flakes, & added the pasta back it. I let the mixture cook for about 2 minutes, slowly stirring the whole time to keep anything from burning or sticking. I added it to my plate & topped it with just a little parmesan cheese.

Score. It worked. The ravioli took on a new flavor with the addition of the salt to the boiling water. The spinach added a slightly different texture with the tiniest hint of bitterness & the red pepper flakes add a little bit of heat & bit. I felt so much more satisfied & appeased than I did yesterday.

 To recreate:
- half a pack of Rising Moon Organics Wild Mushroom & Cheese Ravioli
- 1/4 cup of homemade marinara, but store bought would be fine too
- 2 pinches of Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 handful of Organic Spinach
- a pinch of salt & 2 cranks of freshly ground black pepper
- about a teaspoon of salt added to the boiling pasta water

No comments:

Post a Comment